Steve Poizner for Insurance Commissioner 2018
The number of homeowners who have Earthquake Insurance is only 12% of the total. When the “big one” hits the lack of insurance will be a disaster for Californians. We need to:
- Institute a fast approval of policy and rate filing by the California Earthquake Authority and private earthquake insurers.
- Enact legislation to allow earthquake insurance premiums to be deducted from the state income tax
Major wildfires have become increasingly common. 2017 was the worst year for wildfires in the history of our state. We should:
- Encourage the building and retrofitting of homes in fire-prone areas to make them more fire resistant through rate reductions.
- Improve California’s FAIR Plan, (an association of all property insurers that provide a policy when homeowners cannot find an alternative.)
Floods regularly cause heavy damage in California although it frequently goes unreported by the news media. We must:
- Work with other state agencies to mitigate flood risk through urban and wetlands planning.
- Initiate an educational program for consumers about buying flood insurance.